Dar Si Hmad for Development, Education and Culture is an independent nonprofit organization founded in 2010 promoting local culture and sustainable initiatives through education and the integration of scientific ingenuity in Southwest Morocco. We operate North Africa's largest fog harvesting project, providing villages with access to potable water. Our Water School and Girls' E-Learning Programs build capacity in the Anti-Atlas Mountains. Through our Ethnographic Field School, researchers and students engage with local communities in Agadir, Sidi Ifni, and the rural Aït Baamrane region for meaningful cross-cultural exchange.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Dar Si Hmad's Unsung Heroes, First Interview: Sara and Mohamed

Dar Si Hmad’s new ‘Unsung Heroes’ Project aims to highlight the people that work behind the scenes to help the office run on a daily basis. While the staff at Dar Si Hmad work hard everyday to develop and implement the organization’s many projects, there are additional members behind the scenes that bring light, laughter, determination, order, and passion to the office. The goal of this project is to give recognition to these additional team members in a fun and creative way. We will be conducting interviews and photography sessions with some of these members, including: current interns, our language instructors, homestay families, cleaning and food delivery personnel, furry friends and more!


Interview of Sara and Mohamed Lamghari



Sara and Mohamed Lamghari are homestay host siblings for international interns
at Dar Si Hmad. They are currently hosting American intern Georgia Morgan.


  • What are your names and how old are you?
My name is Sara Lamghari and I am 13 years old, and my name is Mohamed Lamghari
and I am 14 years old.


  • How long have you lived in Agadir?
We were both born in Agadir, and we’ve lived here our whole lives. Our parents are
from the town Tafraout.


  • What are your favorite school subjects & hobbies?


Mohamed- My favorite subjects at school are math and physics. I like these subjects
because they are logical. I enjoy playing football with my friends. I also love to listen
to music. Lartiste is my favorite musician.


Sara- My favorite subjects at school are science and technology. I like science
because I want to be a doctor when I am older. I like technology because it is fun
to me. My hobbies are kickboxing, chess and football. I also like the musician Lartiste,
and I like to watch Parodies Bros on YouTube.

  • What do you like about hosting international students?
Mohamed- When we have people stay with us, we go outside more to show them
around the city. When it is just us, it’s easy to just stay inside and play games or
watch television, so I like having them [international students] stay with us because
we go out and have fun.
Sara- Everyone that we have hosted has been very friendly. I like going to the
beach, walking and eating at restaurants together with my guests. I love playing
chess and baking with you [Georgia]. I would also go for runs and bake with my
previous host siblings, and I enjoyed that.


  • Do you have any funny stories from hosting international students?
Mohamed- One time Sara, Georgia, my mother and I were driving home and I had
the best idea for a prank. I just got this toy snake from a party, and I decided to scare
my mother. When the car came to a stop, I put the toy snake on the emergency brake.
When my mother reached for it to park the car, she screamed and ran out of the car.
Sara and I ran out of the car too and could not stop laughing. It was the best prank ever.


Sara- Mohamed thinks it’s funny to crack eggs on my head, so one time right after
he took a shower, I surprised him and cracked an egg on his head. It was so funny,
but a couple of minutes later he got me back and cracked one on my head too!

  • What have you learned from your host siblings?
Mohamed- I learned about the stars and constellations in the night sky from you [Georgia].
I like how we go up on the terrace at night sometimes and talk about them. We have also
had some philosophical conversations about the past, present and future which I find very interesting.

Sara- I’ve learned that Americans don’t eat as much as Moroccans do. There are also
some weird foods that you [Georgia] eat, like the oats with hot water and banana [oatmeal].
I’ve also noticed that you [Georgia] sleep early sometimes. Sophie, our guest from last
year, taught me how to bake muffins and pancakes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment